With summer right around the corner everyone, including me, are franticly trying to lose belly fat. There are two ways you can tackle your dilemma with body fat. First, you can be completely irrational by trying to do 1,000 push ups a day or fasting on some weird detox. Second, you can be rational and follow a few of these tips.
- Swap Your Cup (or in my case cups) of Coffee with Green Tea: I know with finals coming up you think I am crazy, I kinda of am, but we are too young to be downing cups of coffee like our grandmothers anyway. Green tea is a great alternative to coffee and it has caffeine. Green tea has compounds called catechins, that blast adipose tissue by accelerating the metabolism, this increases the release of fat from fat cells and then speeds up the liver’s fat burning capacity.
- Weight Training: When it comes to wanting to lose belly fat people think they need to jump on the treadmill and start running but that isn;t going to work. Sure we will lose a couple pounds but your metabolism will adjust and you can end up plateauing. In which case you will gain some weight. Weight training is constant movement that burns tons of calories and helps you lose belly fat and tone.
- Five or six meals a day: You have probably heard this a thousand times but I am still going to throw this earn here to reiterate how important it is to be eating properly. Eating five to six meals a day, like the first two tips, helps boost metabolism. Faster metabolism helps you process nutrients and have a strong body.
- Pack your diet with protein: This is something I am sure you have also heard a lot, that’s because it is necessary for a fit and healthy life! Protein is required if you want to be lean. If you are having trouble getting protein in your diet invest in protein powder. I recently bought protein powder for the first time and I love it, it helps so much!
- Indulge in Dark Chocolate: Okay when I read this I was just surprised as you probably are. I mean we all dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate but who knew it could help you lose belly fat. According to an article on HuffingtonPost.com it has to do with the flavonoids, heart-healthy compounds in chocolate that have important antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. So, you’re welcome indulge in some dark chocolate.
- Don’t Judge Your Health By A Number On A Scale: This is very important for the success of any weight loss journey. Sometimes the number on the scale or a reflection of water weight or what time of the day it is. Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are training really hard you can actually gain weight. There is no reason to obsess over number on the scales, if you feel good and look good who cares about the numbers.
Tip of The Week: Do some yoga to relax before finals week. Check out classes at the ARC!
Song of The Week: Bright by Echosmith