Happy fall, friends! Although the San Diego weather is telling us it’s still summer, fall is definitely here and I am excited! I am a summer girl all the way, but being from the beautiful Pacific Northwest, I love the change in seasons. Time for a fresh start and cozy nights with a warm drink and a movie. It might be sunny and 75, but if I keep doing my rain dance long enough, the clouds will come in and the weather will drop below 70, meaning it’s time for a switch from shorts and tank tops to jeans and long sleeves. After spending years in the Evergreen State, I have come up with the five essentials of fall fashion that will get you through this transition from warm to cool and crisp! Grab an apple cider and get comfy for this fall fashion guide, coming your way:
- Flannels- You have to find the biggest, coziest flannels to wear to keep you warm on those gloomy mornings. They are perfect for adding a little color to an outfit, but are also comfortable and warm. No need for a puffy jacket when you can layer these with vests and scarves. I personally buy mine from the men’s section at Costco because of the great price, and let’s be honest, men’s clothes are always better. I also stock up on reworked flannels from a boutique in my hometown, Puyallup, called Misha. They are sold online and are the perfect way to add flare to an outfit.
- Beanies- With late night studying for midterms, the Santa Anna winds coming in and the weather making my hair go crazy, beanies are the go to for fall! They can cover up a bad hair day while making you look ready to head to the pumpkin patch. After spending years in chilly Washington, I have tried out my fair share of beanies and have found what I think are the best and cutest. Love Your Melon is a hat company that gives one beanie to a child with cancer for every beanie that you buy. Not only does the money you spend go to a great cause, but the hats are adorable and keep you warm in any type of weather. I could seriously buy one in every color!
- Booties- It’s time to turn in the sandals for boots! The perfect pair of boots can make any outfit perfect. You can wear them with dresses, jeans and even over a pair of leggings. I love finding a shoe that is both comfortable and cute, so my go to booties are ankle booties from Hush Puppies. Whether you go for knee high boots, rain boots or a pair of ankle boots, you are sure to rock any outfit.
- Patagonia- I quickly learned this past summer that it was time to get rid of the high school sweatshirts I had stacked in my closet and buy something a little more mature. Patagonia jackets (and anything else from their brand) is automatically going to be my favorite piece of clothing. They are perfect to keep you warm on a fall hike or even keep warm at an evening football game. With the warmth and comfort of a sweatshirt, minus the high school logos and frumpy feeling of a sweatshirt, they will have you ready for any fall event.
- Woolies- Socks are a simple and quick way to add a little bit of color and flair to any outfit. They are perfect to wear when you get cold easily without having to completely bundle up. I buy my packs from REI and Costco, because both places sell all kinds of colors and prints. If you aren’t quite ready to turn in the sandals yet, you can even wear them with your Birkenstocks for those gloomy mornings while you wait for the clouds to burn off. If I am not wearing them with my Birks, I am pairing them with some high top vans and a camo jacket.
So there it is, it doesn’t have to be a major change to your wardrobe to get ready for fall and you don’t have to break the bank! Fall is for football games, pumpkin patches and cozy coffee shops, and why can’t we look cute while doing it? Now that we know what to wear, bring on the clouds and cold weather!